Playdough is a children’s toy/activity that has stood the test of time. Many things and fads come and go but playdough is something that we all can remember from our own childhood and is something that kids today enjoy. Although playdough is not extremely expensive, you can still save a ton with this recipe. Most of the ingredients you may already have in your house. I had all but one.
This is a fun thing to make at home with your kids, nieces, nephews or even students. It is easy, cheap and allows you to be creative. You can make any colors you want and can even add glitter!
How is this recipe the best homemade playdough recipe?
- You can make it your own by creating your own colors or adding glitter
- About $1 will go a long way in the amount of playdough you create
- Kids love it
- Kids love making it and playing with it
- It lasts for about 3 to 4 months
- It’s soft and does not wear easy
The BEST Homemade Playdough
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup salt
- 4 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 2 cups lukewarm water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or coconut oil
- Food coloring
- In a pot, mix dry ingredients: flour, salt, and cream of tartar
- Once mixed well, add wet ingredients; water, and vegetable oil (or coconut oil) and mix until completely mixed in and smooth
- **If you’re making one color, stir in the color
- Cook the mix over medium-heat while continually stirring. Stir until dough becomes thicks and forms a ball
- *I find using a spatula works best
- Remove from heat and add to a mixing bowl, gallon zip lock bag, or onto wax paper
- Allow playdough to cool down a little then begin to knead until smooth. This should not take much effort if mixed well on the stove.
- If you are adding color, separate into balls of your size desire. Add to quart sized bags or use wax paper and gloves to add in food color.
- **Start with about 5 drops of food color, add more to brighten
- Add food color and knead until food coloring is completely mixed in.
Get creative with your colors! Remember red, yellow and blue are primary colors. Red/Yellow – Orange, Red/Blue – Purple, Blue/Yellow – Green You can make different shades by using different drop amounts of food coloring. Use your imagination. Add glitter for some sparkly fun!!! If stored in zip lock bags, this will last for about 3 months!