What Is Carbon Monoxide?
Carbon monoxide is a gas that we can’t see, smell, or taste. It’s produced when things like gasoline, wood, coal, or natural gas are burned. Sometimes, these things don’t burn all the way and they produce carbon monoxide instead.
Why is Carbon Monoxide Dangerous?
When we breathe in carbon monoxide, it can get into our blood and make it harder for our blood to carry oxygen to the rest of our body. This can make us feel sick or tired, and it can even be dangerous or deadly if we breathe in too much of it.
It’s important to be careful around things that can produce carbon monoxide and to make sure we have good ventilation in our homes and other places where we might be around these things. We can also use special detectors to help alert us if there is too much carbon monoxide in the air.
Travel and carbon monoxide
You may have recently heard about the 3 Americans who died in Mexico due to carbon monoxide poisoning. These tourist died while staying in an Airbnb in Mexico City. They were visiting for Dia de Los Muertos, Day of the Dead, but afterwards one told a family member that she was dizzy and nauseous. Later, they were found dead due to carbon monoxide poisoning.
For under $30 that could have been prevented.
Why You Should Travel With a Carbon Monoxide Sensor?
Here are a few reasons why it might be a good idea to travel with a carbon monoxide (CO) sensor:
- Carbon monoxide is a toxic gas that can be harmful or even deadly if inhaled in large amounts. It’s produced when fuels like gasoline, wood, coal, or natural gas burn incompletely, and it can be found in the exhaust of cars, boats, and other vehicles.
- A CO sensor can help alert you if there are dangerous levels of carbon monoxide in the air. This can be especially important if you’re traveling in a small, enclosed space like a tent, RV, or boat, where carbon monoxide can build up quickly.
- Carbon monoxide poisoning can be difficult to detect because the gas is colorless, odorless, and tasteless. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can include headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, and eventually death. By having a CO sensor, you can be alerted to the presence of the gas before you start experiencing these symptoms.
- Traveling with a CO sensor is an easy and inexpensive way to protect yourself and your family from carbon monoxide poisoning. It’s a small, lightweight device that can be easily carried with you wherever you go.
Overall, it’s a good idea to be aware of the potential risks of carbon monoxide exposure and to take precautions to prevent it. By traveling with a CO sensor, you can help ensure that you and your loved ones stay safe while on the go.
Where you should place your sensor
To make sure your carbon monoxide (CO) sensor is effective at detecting dangerous levels of the gas, it’s important to place it in the right location. Here are a few tips for where to place your CO sensor:
- Install the CO sensor near the ceiling, where it can most easily detect the gas as it rises.
- Place the CO sensor in a central location, such as a hallway or living room, where it can detect carbon monoxide from all parts of the house.
- Avoid placing the CO sensor near windows, doors, or other sources of drafts, as these can interfere with the sensor’s ability to accurately detect the gas.
- If you have a multi-level home, make sure to install CO sensors on each level, as well as in any bedrooms, to ensure that you’re protected from carbon monoxide throughout your home.
Remember, carbon monoxide is a toxic gas that can be harmful or even deadly if inhaled in large amounts. By properly placing your CO sensor, you can help protect yourself and your family from carbon monoxide poisoning.
Travel carbon monoxide sensors
Please be sure to pack the appropriate batteries for your sensor.